Replacing Temporal Values with Eternal Values

Put Off-Temporal Values

Matthew 6:19-21

19.  "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth or rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
20.  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Put On-Eternal Values

2 Corinthians 4:18  While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen.  For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Nothing in this world lasts forever.  i have had things that lasted for a long time.  For example, in 2010 I bought a used 2000 Chevy Malibu and drove it for a few years.  Then when the can was 16 years old it had to be retired to the junkyard because the engine was going and it would have cost too much money to repair it.  People spend their lives building up possessions or a house full of treasures.  However these are only temporary since you can't take them with you when you go to your new life.
    It is best not to think about earthly possessions, since many of these are idols.  It is best to focus on eternal values because what God has to offer is more valuable than anything imaginable in this word.  This treasure you can keep eternally.

Dear God,

Help me focus on eternal things and not wast my time on things that have no long-term value.  May I spend much time in prayer and meditating on your attributes and praising you.  When my mind wanders and I find myself engaged in thoughts, activities and possessions that have no eternal value, use the Holy Spirit to convict my heart so I can refocus my thoughts back on you.

Comments