Day 5 Sacrifices and Spirit Control

Philippians 3:7-8 (NKJV)

7.  But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.
8.  Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ, Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish that I may gain Christ.

a.  Am I willing to sacrifice whatever is necessary to see God move in my life and church (time, convenience, comfort, reputation, pleasure, habits, and so on?

Yes.  I have already made some sacrifices.

My phone is a big distraction because of all the apps I can download.  My biggest downfall is playing the Match 3 games.  I can waste an entire day trying to reach the next level.  Then I would get frustrated and discouraged when I almost beat the level an have no moves remaining.  I did reduce my game playing to where I am not playing constantly, just once in a while.

I have reduced my time on Twitter.  It has become a toxic environment.  I got caught up in the political discussions and had to stop because there is so much hatred for our President.  I do use this site to share when I make a blog post.

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies.  My two favorite genres are fantasy and science fiction.  My favorite series are Dragonlance, Doctor Who and Star Wars.  I realize that with so many books written in these series, I will not be able to read them all without putting God on the back burner.  So I am will to sacrifice my books.  After my Godly activities, I can still sit down and read a chapter or two a day.

Netflix is another thing I need to sacrifice.  I can waste a day binge watching movies and television shows.  It is probably a good idea not to watch these since many of the shows revolve around sex, drugs and violence.  I wish they had more Christian movies.  I would watch these.

Galatians 5:22-25  Ephesians 5:18-21 (NKJV)  Spirit Control

Galatians

22.  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness
23.  gentleness, self-control.  Against such there is no law.
24.  And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25. If we live in the Spirit; let us also walk in the spirit.

Ephesians

18.  And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,
19.  speaking to one another in Psalms and hyms and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,
20.  giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
21.  submitting to one another in fear of God.

a.  Am I allowing Jesus to be Lord of every area in my life?

I cannot honestly say yes because I still focus on worldly possessions.  However, as I continue with this Bible Study I have been feeling the Spirit stir within me.

b.  Am I allowing the Holy Spirit to fill (control) my life each day?

It has been a while since I have felt the joy of the Spirit.  This is my own fault because I have been focused on my own worries and idols such as reading, the latest apps on my phone and television shows.  Since I have started this study, I feel more Spirit-filled and pray that it is not temporary.

At work I look forward to going home.  I have been dedicated to doing an hour of daily Bible study.

c.  Is there growing evidence of the fruit of the Spirit being produced in my life?

There are some things that have been already present such as being kind and gentle.  My co-workers see me that way too.  But when I am hurting inside, I hide my feelings and they do not notice.  I need to open up more and doing this journaling is a big help.

As I am in the process of renewing my Spirit, I am able to share with my handful of believing friends at work.  I actually did find out that one of my co-workers is doing a different study called the Healing Journey by Cyndy Sherwood.  I am putting that Bible Study on my Bucket List.

Comments

Popular Posts