Day 5 Moral Purity and Forgiveness

Ephesians 5:3-4  Moral Purity

3.  But fornication and all uncleanness or coveteousness, let it not ever be named among you, as it is fitting for saints;
4.  neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

a.  Do I keep my mind free from entertainment or imput that could stimulate fantasing or thought are not morally pure?

That actually is a good question.  I might watch an R-rated movie that has an intimate scene between a man and woman and I could fall victim to impure thoughts especially if the actor is handsome.

Even if I do not fantasize, I should just not watch that movie in the first place because it could tempt me into having impure thoughts.

I'm more of a book reader so I have to keep an eye on what I read.  The number one rule of thumb is if it makes me uncomfortable then I should just stop reading it and throw it away.  I love fantasy books and a few years ago I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse series.  It is about a female who falls in love with a vampire. (Reminds me of another series.)  While it was easy to get into and hold my interest, I stopped reading the series about halfway through the third book.  The first reason was the female character was always a victim, who probably came close to losing her life at least once in every book so far.  She always had to rely on the vampire to rescue her.  I found her very annoying.  The second reason I stopped reading the series-which was the main reason-the book was always centered around sex.  If this was intended to be for young adults, I am very shocked.  While I am an adult, I actually prefer reading young adult books compared to what is written for the adult audience.

b.  Are my conversations and behavior pure and in accordance with God's word?

I do have to watch what I say at work since we have a sexual harassment policy.  My job is too important for me to lose it by saying something that might get some laughs from some but might be offensive to others.

And generally I prefer to keep my mouth shut since people at work like  to twist words around.

Colossians 3:12-13  Forgiveness

12.  Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;
13.  bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

a.  Do I seek to resolve relational conflicts as soon as possible?

Yes.  And I do very good at watching my spoken words.  However, my thoughts are a different story.  Since I don't like hurting somebody's feelings, I tend to keep my mouth shut.  Emotional hurt is as damaging as physical hurt.  For some people it is so damaging they never get over it.

b.  Am I quick to bear with and forgive those who are wrong or hurt me?

Yes.  I realized that if I cannot forgive someone, I will have a bitter heart.  A bitter heart will hinder my love relationship with God.

Comments

Popular Posts