Day 5 First Love and Motives

11.  Philippians 1:21, 23  (NKJV)  First Love

21.  For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain
23.  For I am hard-pressed between the two, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.

a.  Am I as devoted to Jesus as I have been in the past?

I am about the same.  there have been times when I have been dedicated and other times not so much.

I need to be devoted to Jesus because He, because of His sacrifice, made it possible for me to overcome sin and death and provided a way to live with God.

The ways I can be dedicated to Jesus is by

Serving others
Loving God
Obeying God

b.Am I attentive to Jesus, filled with his joy and peace, and making Him the object of my affection?

It is a day by day thing.  Right now as I am writing this, I do not feel the Spirit stir within me.  I am under the weather, fighting a head cold and hoping it goes away.  My husband and I are going to Albany later on in the week for an American Legion Convention.  So I am under a little stress and I haven't even started packing yet.  Plus I want to get the house cleaned before we leave.  It seemed that it was a chore to open my journal and start writing.

Tomorrow may be different.  I can be more spirit-filled one day and the next I allow worries to fill me.  I want to be spirit-filled every day.

(As a side note:  Everything went well in Albany and had a fun weekend.)

12.  Matthew 10:28 Acts 5:29 (NKJV)  Motives

Matthew 10:28  And do not fear those that kill the body but cannot kill the soul..  But rather fear Him who is able to destroy  both soul and body in Hell.

Acts 5:29  But Peter and the other apostles answered and said:  we ought to obey God rather than men.

a.  Am I more concerned with what God thinks about my life than what others think?

I am concerned both ways.  Before I learned about God's gift of salvation and before I became a Christian, I was sure I was doomed to an eternity in Hell.  Before I became a Christian, I saw God as an unforgiving God.  I thought that for a person to get into heaven, you had to be perfect.  I had sinned in taking God's name in vain, worshiping idols, selfishness, greed, lying, jealousy, not giving my parents the respect they deserved-to name a few.

While in college, a person told me about God's gift to salvation. This gave me hope since I discovered God for what he is-a loving and forgiving God.  Had I always followed in God's footsteps?  No.  In my almost forty years of being a Christian, I have made many wrong choices in my life.  The good thing is God is always willing to welcome me back and embrace me.

However, I am also concerned about what others think of me.  I was bullied when I was in elementary school and this carried over into my adult life.  I have a low self-esteem and always want to make a good impression with my peers.  I had joined the Army when I still in college.  This did help create me into a more confident person.  So the person I am now is not the one who was bullied as a child.

b.  Would I pray, read my Bible, give and serve as much if nobody but God ever notice?

Actually no.  I would have to live a life of a hermit and that would be impossible since I have a husband going on 27 years of marriage and one adult daughter who still lives at home.

I do need some quiet time-an hour a day-to do my Bible Study.  Usually it means doing my study as soon as I get home from work where my husband is still sleeping or waking up a little earlier when it is my day off.

As a hermit I might be able to study more but I believe the sense of loneliness would get to me.   Plus I would have limited resources.  I do not believe I would be working if I was a hermit, so I would not have the money to buy books or to pay for the Internet-if even I had Internet Service.  Therefore, I would not be involved in excellent groups such as Women's Bible Cafe.

c.  Am I more concerned about pleasing God than I am about being accepted and appreciated by others?

Can't I please both?  After all I still want to be accepted.  I like being appreciated by my hard work and long for friendship and companionship.  Still, pleasing God has to take priority over pleasing others.

Comments

Popular Posts