Day 5 Making it Personal Humility and Obedience

Isaiah 57:15 (NKJV) Humility

For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity,
Whose name is Holy:
"I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has
a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart
of the contrite ones."

a.  Am I quick to recognize and agree with God in confession when I have sinned?

Sometimes I let my pride get in my way and do not acknowledge my sin.  Other times I catch myself and ask God to forgive me.

b.  Am I quick to admit to others when I am wrong?

Lately I have been good at that.  I do not want somebody else to take the blame.  However, I am stubborn.  When I know when I am right and the other person is wrong, I will go out of my way to prove that I am right.

c.  Do I count others and their interests to be more significant than myself and their interests?

I have never really though about this.  I believe that if people had all the same interests, this would be a boring world.  And what somebody might be interested in, I might be interested in down the road.  The only exception is when it comes down to beliefs in other gods.  I am not interested in that.  My interest is to share all that God has done for me.

1 Samuel 15:22 (NKJV) Obedience

So Samuel said:
Has the Lord has great delight
in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.

Hebrews 13:17 (NKJV)

Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive.  For they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account.  Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

a.  Am I quick to obey when God shows me something in his word that pleases (or displeases) Hi,?

A lot of times when I read I let it go in one eye and out the other.  It sometimes is difficult to comprehend what I read because of so many distractions.  For example, I had just sat down and the phone rang.  If it was a friend or family member, that would have been fine.  However, it was one of those scammers-I think for microsoft.  I won't repeat what I said-it was not very Christian.  I think the next time they call, I will quote Bible verses to them.

Back to distractions.  They are-how should I put it?-distractions.  I need a quiet place with no telephone, television, people.  Maybe in the commute home frow work I can stop at the rest area. 

With so many Laws God has listed, it will be difficult to follow every one.  I believe that God put all these Laws for the Israelites to follow to make them realize that they would need God for his forgiveness and salvation.

b.  Do I obey the human authorities God has placed over my life?

If this means like obey traffic laws and the like, I am fairly good.  I am not perfect at this.  But I find it easier to obey man's laws that God's Laws.  And trying to obey every single Law of the Lord is a way to stop us from enjoying God's presence.


While the word is not mentioned in the Bible, legalism is present throughout the entire book.  Take a look at the Law of Moses.  Throughout numbers and Leviticus, God gives Moses a bunch of laws for the Israelites to follow.  Many of them, if they were broken, were punishable by death.  Throughout both the Old and New Testaments people claimed to know God because they obeyed all of Gods laws.  They believe that they will get salvation if they follow all the laws.  In other word they believe they are righteous in God’s eyes. 

Legalism, however,  is the perfect plan of Satan.  He does not want us to enjoy God’s presence.  Therefore, he makes it so people are to consumed with following the laws so we so we do not develop a meaty prayer life.  As Beth Moore states, “having an undeveloped prayer life robs our joy as does harboring bitterness or anger at another person” (Beth Moore Breaking Free).  When Christians realize that legalism is actually a roadblock in the road to freedom, and removes it, he will enjoy God’s presence.
While legalism was present during Biblical history, it is present as well in today’s society.  They do not realize that they no longer are under Old Testament law.  Take a look at Ecclesiastes 7:20 “There is not a righteous man one earth who does what is right and never sins” (NIV).  No matter what, we can follow all the rules but we will never please God.  The only way we will be righteous in God’s eyes are by believing that Jesus is the Son of God, believing he died on the cross for our sin and inviting him into our lives to be out personal Savior.

Comments

Popular Posts