Replacing Lack of Love and Bitterness with Love, Tenderness and Forgiveness

Put Off: Lack of Love, Bitterness, Unforgiveness

1 John 4:7-8

7.  Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
8.  He who does not love God does not know God, for God is love.

1 John:20  If someone says, "I love God" and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

Hebrews 12:15  Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled.

Put On:  Love, Tenderheartedness, Forgiveness

John 15:12  This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

Ephesians 4:32  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

This is very difficult for me because how can I love someone who has hurt me, who hates me in return or who mocks me-making fun of my belief in God.  However, since God commands me to love my enemies, I will have to do that.

I found this prayer of KnowingJesus.com and it is fitting to pray for my enemies to find salvation:

Heavenly father, you have called us to pray for our enemies and all that seek to do us harm, and not to heap unforgiveness and resentment in our heart, and so Lord I want to bring before you all those people in my life who have become enemies of my soul, and to ask for your grace, favor and forgiveness to be poured out on them Lord.  I pray that you would convict each on their need for Jesus as their Savior.

Lord, I know that it is not your will that anyone should perish but that all those people is my life that have sought to do me evil or inflicted harm on me, whether intentionally or unwittingly, to your merciful throne of grace to plead forgiveness and to ask mercy on their souls.

Lord, for your holy names sake, I pray that you would draw close to each.  Open their eyes to the truth of the gospel of grace I pray, and bring each one into a saving faith on the Lord Jesus.  Draw them with your cords of loving, forgiveness into your family.  In Jesus' name, Amen

Comments

Popular Posts