Replacing Profanity and Idle Words with Pure Speech and Words that Minister Grace

Out Off-Profanity and Idle Words

Proverbs 4:24

Put away from you a profane mouth,
And put perverse lips far from you.

Matthew 12:36  But I say to you that for every idle word man may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.

Put On-Pure Speech and Words that Minister Grace

Proverbs 15:4

A wholesome tongue is a tree of life,
But perverseness in it breaks the Spirit.

Ephesians 4:29  Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

I have to admit I have a profane mouth.  I can drop a cup of coffee or stub my toe and the first words out of my mouth are curse words and unfortunately some of them are the GD words and other ones taking the Lord's name in vain.  This is a big Put Off that I need to control.

I have to watch every word that comes out of my mouth.  Even if an idle word does not contain any type of profanity, it can be just as harmful.  One example of an idle word is when I read a Bible verse or chapter and I put my own interpretation on it.  Then what I interpret can be misused or a person follows my opinion and not what the Bible says.  I always make sure if I do that I will stress that it is my own opinion and that I am not quoting the Bible.

    Any time I misuse God's name, I must pray to him for forgiveness.

O Lord, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.  I firmly intend, with your help, to watch what I say and to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.  My Savior, Jesus Christ, suffered and died for me.  In his name, my Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me.

Comments

Popular Posts