Replacing Love of Money, Greed and Stinginess with Love of God and Generosity

Put Off-Love of Money, Greed and Stinginess

1 Timothy 6:9-10

9.  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men into destruction and perdition.
10.  For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 John 3:17  But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

Put On-Love of God, Generosity

Matthew 6:33  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be abide to you.

Proverbs  11:25 

The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.

Think of an example of somebody who seems to have everything?  Is he happy?  I can go on Google and look up a famous celebrity and read about them.  I have noticed that a majority of movie stars have been married and divorced multiple times.  Even though they get rich starring in movies, I am not surprised that they are not married or have been divorced several times.  There are professional athletes who get multi-million dollar contracts and they are not wise with their money-they are rich and they blow their money on wants.  They do not plan on the future and when their athlete days are over; many are broke in a short time.

I myself, sometimes want to have the money to payoff my bills and have enough for a nest egg so I can retire.  I know that I actually would not be wise with my money.  While I would get my bills paid off, I would spend the rest of the money within a year since I will probably buy a new car, refurnish the entire house, put a pool and hot tub in the back yard and so on.  Why should God help me in this way if I am not going to be generous with my money?  God knows what is in my heart, knowing what I will actually do compared to what I intend to do.  I know that God will provide for me at the right time-his perfect timing-when I am more wiser with my money and willing to part with it to help someone in need.

Teach me, Lord Jesus, to be generous:
to serve You as You deserve;
to give, not counting the cost;
to fight, not heeding the wounds;
to toil, not asking for rest;
to labor, not seeking any reward,
save that of knowing that we do Your will.
Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts