Week Five Day One Faith Builder Story

Question 1.  Through the course of this study, you may have struggled with a particular change God has been prompting you to make or a sin you know He wants you to confess and forsake.  Highlight any of the feelings you have had in response.

I really want to obey God, but I can't-it's just too hard.
I know what God wants me to do, but honestly, I just don't have the desire to do it.
I feel overwhelmed by my guilt and failure before God.
I'll never be able to measure up to what I should be.

Question 2.  In the faith builder story the husband and wife were active in their church and he was a respected professor at a university.  It seemed that they had a happy family life.  However, after a revival summit, he realized things that needed to be changed.

He had a couple hidden sins that he needed to confess.  One was skimming profits from a former job and another was cheating on a final exam when he was studying for his doctorate.  A final sin was not being faithful to his wife.

He confessed all these to his former boss, doctorate supervisor and wife.

What risks did this man face in confessing these sins?

He risked losing his current job and his college degree.  He also risked his wife divorcing him.  By confessing, he received forgiveness from all three.

Question 3.  What consequences did he risk if he chose to keep these things hidden?

He may never had been able to humble himself before God.
He may never have had a revived heart.
He would have still been living in a loveless marriage.

Question 4.  What enabled him to step into the light and come clean?

Through a revival summit his church held.  This shows that God's timing is perfect.  This man may have been to several before.  However, this one touched him so completely that he knew he had to come clean about his past sins so he could have a close relationship with God, his wife and others.

Question 5.  Read Psalm 86:1-7

What phrases show David asking for help?  What phrases indicates how God's responds when his children call upon Him?

Incline your ear/Inclines
Answer me/Answers
Preserve my life/Preserves
Save your servant/Saves
Be gracious to me/Is Gracious
Gladden the soul/Gladdens
Give ear/Gives
Listen to my plea/Listens

Question 6.  How does calling upon God express humility.  What assurance dos this Psalm give you that God's grace is available to meet any needs you expressed in Question 1?

It shows that without God I am nothing.  Calling upon God is an expression of humility.  It shows that even though you have sins to confess, God will help you. God will provide all the grace we need to face any demand.

Comments

Popular Posts