Week Three Day Three Waling in the Light

Question 9  1 John 1:5

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

To what does John liken God?  What does this metaphor tell us about God?

John is describing God as all good.  That means everything he does is good.

It tells me that I cannot be like God because I am not all good.  As I continue with this Bible Study I am seeing how many times I have sinned in my life and kept it hidden from others.  Except God knows and I feel the burden lifted from me as I unloaded my heart to Him.

question 10.  John says that because God is light,  there is absolutely in Him.  What are the implications of this truth for our relationship with God?

That we have to open up to God, confessing our sins.  I have to try to make things right with people I have hurt.  While it might be difficult to seek out people from the past, I can move forward and ask for forgiveness as soon as I hurt someone.  I can also strive not to offend someone.

Question 11.  1 John 1:6

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

What does John say about someone who claims to know God but persists in living a life-style that is contrary to God?

That person does not really know God.  For me, I have to keep an eye on the books I read and shows that I  watch.  One of my favorite genres are fantasy novels.  A few years ago I got involved with the Sookie Stackhouse series.  It is about a human who falls in love with a vampire.  While I got involved with the series-there are at least ten books-I stopped reading them halfway through the third book.  The series mostly centered around sex and I got frustrated with them.  Even as an adult, I prefer the Young Adult books.

Question 12.  Only when "we walk in the light" can we experience genuine fellowship with God and each other.  What do you think it means to walk in the light?

It means to be openly honest about my sins and to be humbled.

Question 13.  What might cause a child of God to chose for a time to cover his or her sin, rather than walking in the light before God and others?

They maybe are trying to justify their sins.
They may be trying to blame others.
They may be too ashamed.
They may not realized that what they did is a sin.

Qestion 14.  1 John 1:8

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Who are we deceiving if we defend ourselves and claim to be innocent when we have in fact sinned?  How does refusing to "walk in the light" affect our relationship with God and others?

I am basically deceiving myself.  I might be able to deceive others if I can keep the sin well-hidden.  But I can never deceive God.

By refusing to walk in the light I am creating a gap between God and myself.  I can never have full fellowship with God if I refuse to walk in the light.

"If we feel that we are innocent and have nothing to be broken about, it is not that these things are not there but we have not seen them.  We have been living in a realm of illusion about ourselves."-Roy Hession.

Question 15.  What must we do in order for our sins to be forgiven?  On what basis is God "just" to forgive our sins?

I must confess to God about my sins and be totally honest.

He is just because he is all good and all-forgiving.

Comments

Popular Posts