Week Four Day Three A Change in Mind

Question 11.

Matthew 22:37  Jesus said to him, "You shall love the Lord God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."

Romans 12:1-2

1.  I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
2.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

What roles do our minds play in our pleasing God and being transformed into the likeness of Christ?

Sin first starts with a thought.  This is temptation.  If we do not control our minds, that temptation will continue until we eventually sin.

When our mind focuses on things that are impure, we must allow the Holy Spirit to convict us.  As we refocus our thoughts on Godly things, this pleases God.  We do this by:

Recognizing and running away from temptation
Responding quickly to the Holy Spirit conviction

Repentance begins in the mind as conviction of sin.

Question 12.  How can we train our minds to resist temptation and to respond to the Spirit's conviction?

Our minds go a mile a minute compared to our mouths.  If the thoughts of one person within a twenty-four hour period are recorded on paper it can probably be as long as a mega novel and perhaps even longer.

That is why it is easier to control my mouth rather than my thoughts.

The best way for me to control my mind is to make myself more aware of my thoughts and when I find it wandering to ungodly thoughts is to pray to God for repentance.

As I continue with my relationship with God I might be able to focus on my thoughts easier.  I also can pray to God and the Holy Spirit to convict me when I am focusing on impure thoughts.

Question 13.

Matthew 3:8 Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

Revelation 2:4-5

4.  I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.
5.  Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first.  If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

According to these verses, what is the evidence that we have truly repented?

A change in our behavior.
"Repentance is not merely intellectual change of mind or grief;;;but a radical transformation of the entire person."-D. A. Carson

Question 14.  From what you've studied thus far, write about a brief description of what repentance looks like in the life of a believer.

This change of behavior will show itself both inside and outside.
Real repentance influences behavior.
Repentance is a change of mind that results in a change if behavior.

Question 15.  Briefly describe a time in your life, since becoming a Christian when you had "left your first love" or God convicted you of a particular sin, and you truly repented.  What was wrong about your thinking or the direction you were headed?  How did your thinking and your behavior change as an evidence of your repentance?

Going back to the time of the dish washing strike, I was trying some new recipes for a diet.  So whatever pots, pans, plates and cups I used, I did clean.  The rest remained in the sink.  When my husband noticed all the other stuff he made a comment.  I informed him that I did wash my own stuff.  He eventually did a load of dishes.

That night when I went to work and God did convict me that even if I had to do a majority of the housework, I would feel better in a clean and organized house rather than one that is full of clutter.  From the time when I was convicted and now, I defrosted the freezer and cleaned both refrigerators.  I even took out all the shelves and washed them.  I am working on each room, going through stuff that we have not used in a long time. 

Right now I am laid off from work because of the Coronavirus.  I am not taking the time off worrying if I am going to survive financially.  I am trusting God in this area.  I will, along with my Bible Studies, be tackling one room at a time until this house looks brand new.  There are some major projects-such as getting a new kitchen floor-that might have to wait until I have some extra money.  But right now I am sitting at my kitchen table writing this.  The table was, just a couple days ago, piled high with clutter.

(By the time I am getting this posted on Blogger, I have to say my husband is doing an excellent job.  He has been very helpful in going through his stuff and organizing it.  His man cave-which is the garage-has been overflowing with stuff.  He has been going through this and putting stuff out to the curb.  He is also putting a new stockade fence in the backyard.  While I am helping him at this, he is doing a majority of he work.)

With true repentance, I feel that I still have a long way to go.

Lord God
Give me a repentant heart
Renew my mid
Turn me from my sinful ways
So I can follow you
Inspire me so I can
Respond to you immediately
Remind me to obey you
And take responsibility.













Comments

Popular Posts